Dental treatment in Budapest – Dental bridges
There are a lot of reasons why we lose our teeth. It can be aging, accidents or due to illness. Whatever the reason is, these factors will have a negative impact on your daily lives. You can not enjoy your favorite foods, lose your confident look, your cheerfulness, and your natural smile.
What causes shortage of teeth?
- Missing front teeth cause problems to bite, decrease the number of edible foods and chewing of food is becoming more and more problematic.
- No matter in which part of your teeth you have shortage, you smile less.
- The extensive lack of the back molar teeth creates a half-sided chewing, with a heavy load on the jaw joints.
- Chewing of food will not be sufficient, resulting in digestive disturbances.
- Gums withouth teeth are much more defective so gum inflammation can easily develop, which can cause further tooth loss.
- The remaining teeth near the shortage will also move away, lean towards the shortage and their restoration is possible by only orthodontics.
- Under the gums without teeth, the jawbone will start to deteriorate and will be significantly weakened.
What are the options to choose from when replacing one or more missing teeth?
Our dentists always recommend solutions to you in the spirit of maximizing your health, goals, comfort, safety and aesthtetics.
Bridges on your natural teeth
A bridge can be applied if you have a tooth gap, but the adjacent teeth are healthy. In this case the teeth next to the gap are ground down and serve as pillars for the bridge. It is a 3 item bridge, made of 3 crowns and bridging one tooth gap. Bridges can be applied to bigger tooth gaps where two or even 3 teeth are missing. In this case the brigde can be 4 or 5 items long, but the number of pillars is always two. They are at both ends of the tooth gap and the bridges are fixed to the pillars. It is also possible to have bridges of 6 or more items, but in this case there must be a pillar, that is a tooth in the middle area of the tooth gap.
In the case of extensive tooth loss involving several teeth next to each other, our dentists recommend the use of zirconium or porcelain bridges to the frontal area. These metal-free bridges are individually made, their colors match the color and shape of your natural teeth. The difference between natural teeth and the bridge is practically zero, unnoticeable.
If you have teeth loss at the molar region it is higly likely that you will be recommended a bridge of a porcelain fused to metal crowns. It is better for molar teeth because it is more flexible than zirconium and it better stands the load of chewing. It is also an aesthetic solution however not so perfect as zirconium or porcelain but it functions perfect at the molar region. If you want a Hollywood smile makeover it might be possible, that your molar region is also provided with zirconium bridges but it takes a thorough medical examination.
Bridges also need proper oral care, proper oral hygiene and regular cleaning and regular 12 months dental checkups just like your real teeth.
Bridges on normal tooth are applied when implantation is not possible. Conditions when implantation is not possible:
- If you are a haeavy smoker.
- If you are under the age of 14.
- If you are suffering from cancer.
- Severe diabetes.
- Insufficient bone.
Advantages of bridges on natural teeth:
- A quick and easy solution within a couple of days.
- Maximizes the shape and color of the missing teeth
If you opt for a bridge on the natural teeth then it an be carried out in one 3-5 day visit to Budapest. When the pillar teeth are prepared then you get temporary crowns to protect the teeth until you get your final brigde.
This is the most effective, best and most popular procedure for replacing missing teeth. It can be used in places where there is no healthy teeth which could serve as pillars for the bridge. The implant itself makes a stable pillar on both sides of the bridge. It is more stable, durable and less problematic than bridges fixed to natural teeth.
Advantages of bridges on dental implants:
- Do not need to grind down intact healthy teeth for pillars. Healthy teeth remain intact for a long time.
- Replacement will remain stable for 40 to 50 years but lifetime is not unusual either.
- It gives the same load to the bone as a natural tooth so the jaw bone does not does not weaken.
- Provides the bridge with maximum stability.
- The screw (pillar of the bridge) does not move, keeps its position in the jaw bone lifetime.
- Chewing ability is guaranteed for decades, and the implanted tooth can withstand the toughest morsels.
According to our dentists and patients the implant based bridges are the most reliable, durable and highest value-for-money solutions in case of more than 1 missing teeth.
If you go for an impant based bridge, then it takes two visits to Budapest. In the first 2-3 day visit the dental screws (pillars) are installed and then after the recovery time, which is 3-6 months you can return for the final bridge. To make you the final bridge is between 4-5 work days. In the recovery period you can have a temporary partial prothesis to resore chewing ability and aesthetics.
You can read more about crowns, that are the building stones of bridges, here.
You can read more about the pillars of implant based bridges here.